Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Morning Musings: Keep on Marching



Yesterday in my quiet time I read Joshua 6. (If you don't know where to start with a quiet time, download the First5 app- its amazing).
Joshua 6 is the story of how God instructs the Israelites to march around the city of Jericho for 6 days without making a sound... "I can’t help but wonder what murmurs circled through the camp as they looked at the towering walls of Jericho. I’m sure there were no shortage of ideas or opinions on how they should tackle the problem before them. But God didn’t ask anyone for their opinion. Not even Joshua. Instead, He asked for their complete and unwavering obedience. Obedience in the face of a battle plan that would make no sense at all to their rational minds. A plan that actually involved no “battle” whatsoever.
All God wanted them to do was march. For six days straight they were to march around the walls of Jericho. Then, on the seventh day of marching, they were to end with trumpet blasts and a great shout. God declared this mighty sound would bring the walls down.
What moves me most about the Israelites’ part in this story isn’t so much their willingness to take that first crazy step of obedience. It’s how they kept taking steps of obedience. Step after step after step. Even though nothing appeared to change … even though there wasn’t a single sign of cracking or crumbling in those massive walls … they kept marching. What if they'd stopped after day two? Or day three? Or even day six? Think of all they would have missed. They would have cheated themselves out of certain victory from God. I don’t say any of this casually — as if it’s easy to keeping going when there’s no evidence of our situation changing. It's hard to keep marching when we don't see God move the way we thought He would. It’s sometimes difficult to trust that He’s working behind the scenes.So what do we do when He asks us to move in ways that don’t make sense to us? How do we keep “marching” when the situation still looks hopeless? Their victory never hinged on their ability or any of their well-thought-out plans. It was dependent on their unswerving obedience offered up to a loving and mighty God. Let’s not stop short of our victory with God. He is working things out. He is present. His plan is still good and He can still be trusted. These are true certainties even when life feels so very uncertain."
I feel like I am in a marching for days season, but not sure where I am going or what will even happen. I am in a season of step by step obedience. Growing in my faith and trust in God's promises to me. I was really beating myself up about how I feel stale and diluted in the areas of life that once gave me joy. I am putting one foot in front of the other right now. And who knows how long my marching will take. But he has promised me the "city", and I trust that is exactly what He will give me.