Thursday, January 19, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Capsule Wardrobe

Here's a little Throwback Thursday to one of my favorite and most functional posts! I will be revisiting this concept once my weight is more static and my body type isn't pregnant. With the new year and everyone working to get in shape, I think that part of feeling good about where you are in the journey is wearing something that helps you out. I hope you enjoy and get something out of this post- I'd love to how you make this your own! Here's the post as well as the link to my original post.


Throwback Thursday: Make Over Your Mu-Mu: If The Pants Don't Fit
Friends, I'd like to introduce you to something that has made my life simple, made me feel better about myself and reduced the amount of stress in my day!

I know, it sounds like a magic potion or something. Now that you mention it, it does come in a "capsule"... but its not what you're thinking!

CAPSULE WARDROBE!!! If you don't know, you better ask somebody!!!! Here's the low down:

A traditional capsule wardrobe is simply this:

1. a collection of a few essential items of clothing that will not go out of fashion 
  (i.e. skirts, trousers, coats)

2. basic pieces that can be livened up by seasonal pieces

3. these pieces should be inter-changeable, working together in multiple ways

I was scrolling through Facebook one day last spring and I came across a blog explaining the concept of the capsule wardrobe. I thought there was no way I could pull it off, there was no way I could operate on so few items in my closet. Here are the two ladies that I read about:

Why I Got Rid Of My Wardrobe...

Un-fancy: 37 piece wardrobe

I thought these broads were bananas... B A N A N A S.

Then I did a little homework. I was only wearing 20% of the clothing in my closet. That was so much wasted space. And so many moments of disappointment. Putting that cute shirt on only to realize my mommy pooch was prominent enough to mistake for a 4 month pregnancy. Trying those jeans on for the 137th time and guess what, they still don't fit. Ah, these yoga pants will always fit, let's wear those again.

If you have walked down that path of thinking, this is going to make you a better, happier, more confident person. Here's where you'll want to start...



Pinterest is a great source for options for a capsule wardrobe. Since we live in Florida it is hard to swap the seasons because summer tends to be 10 months long. I opted to keep most of my warm weather stuff available in case we have an extra sunny December day. That's what those in the biz call an "all seasons" or "life season" capsule wardrobe.

This was my favorite website and worksheet, and I loved her approach!

Elisa Pulliam Capsule Wardrobe Worksheet




Here are a few other great websites I found to be very helpful:

Un-Fancy Capsule Wardrobe Planner


Before you even start purging, there are steps to consider:
  • Start a vision board- or use the one you already have on Pinterest:
    • Notice trends: colors, style, repetition of items
  • Create a color palette:
    • Look at the colors you have pinned and the colors you love OR
    • There are color analysis websites that will help if you'd like to be scientific
  • Choose specific items:
    • Think uniform
    • Not just with the items but the repeated style
  • Analyze your lifestyle
    • I tend to find that wedge heels are not a mommy staple...
    • But its nice to have a pair in case I want to get fancy :D
  • Assess what you already have
  • Make a shopping list using one of the linked worksheets suggested
  • GO SLOW!

After 3 days of making lists and checking them twice, I started my purge. I spent 2 weeks making piles, debating and driving the Dashboard Dad nuts! But one huge mess turned into something beautiful!!! I slimmed it down to 75 items and its still a work in progress.




Here are a few of my basic pieces that I wear most often and that are the easiest to accessorize. On a rushed or blah day, these are my go-to, my comfort pieces. They look put together but they are still very functional for my life.





One thing I found important was making my closet a place of joy. I made an awesome display for my hanging jewelry, up-cycled a painting and made it a place that I like to go now. So getting ready for the day is less stressful and takes up less of my time. I'm all about streamlining my processes- hence taking 2016 to make over this momma! 

  


I would LOVE to see some of your wardrobe redos!!!